Welcome, I’m Nico!
For me, simple living isn’t about leaving the modern world or about total self-reliance. It’s an act of resistance.
My family and I live in a big city – and for now, we like it. But for a few reasons I recently became committed to living a more simple life. I have the goal of opt-ing out of the consumerist, individualistic, and unhealthy culture that is so pervasive.
I’m doing this by learning to make nourishing food at home, experimenting with herbal remedies made from foraged plants, and consuming much less – by repairing what we already have or buying for quality not quantity. And I started the Documenting Simple Living blog and YouTube channel to document what I learn.
In a city, convenience is everywhere and it takes a lot of intention and learning to keep choosing this path. But I’m committed! If you want to live more simply in the modern world, I hope you will keep following along.
Follow along by subscribing to my newsletter where I send short, regular simple living tips straight to your inbox. And subscribe to my YouTube channel to follow along with our journey to live simple and sustainably in the modern world.
A Few Things About Me
- I am new to tincture-making but enjoy making my own tincture blends for immune health & to improve my mood.
- I will always swipe solid wood furniture left on street corners. This is how I found our Ercol rocking chair!
- My wardrobe is 80% thrifted & I prefer clothing made from natural fibres like cotton, wool, & linen. When I buy new clothing, I buy the best quality I can afford. If it’s made locally, even better.
- I’m obsessed with handmade stoneware.
- I never used to enjoy cooking. But one day I saw a butternut squash in our local supermarket with a sticker that said it had been grown in Kenya, which was over 7,000 miles from where I was standing at the time. I decided to start buying vegetables from local farmers, which got me more interested in cooking seasonly. And things snowballed from there. I still don’t love to cook but I see it as an act of resistance against the unsustainable industrial food system.
- I really dislike social media – when I’m not working, I’m not online!